Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Decision

A few months ago, I decided to do something drastic!  After years of being morbidly obese, and trying desperately to lose weight to no avail, I decided to have weight loss surgery.  My sister in law had it a year ago and she has done really well. She lost over 100 pounds. Surgery never really seemed like something I would/could do. I always figured I would do it the "old fashioned" way, with diet and exercise.  The problem with that was that I never could lose much.  I would lose a little and just gain it back, plus more. I have hypothyroidism, which probably plays a part.  

I finally reached my breaking point a few months ago. I was starting to have a hard time breathing, my heart was beating erratically, I was having chest pains, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and I felt like CRAP.  One day, I saw a picture of myself.  I cried, thinking, "THIS is what others see when they look at me??"  I talked to my husband and said, "I have GOT to do something about this!"  And he said, "Betty is doing really well."  I was like, "but she had SURGERY!"  and he said, "Yeah..."  So I started thinking, why CAN'T I have surgery?  I decided to research it. Betty had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.  I learned all I could about it and joined a couple online forums about it. I decided to have the surgery too. I understand there is a slight chance I will have some pretty serious complications, but at 150 pounds overweight, I face some pretty serious complications if I don't lose this weight too!  I have proven to myself that I cannot do it on my own, or I would have been successful by now. I think this is my only chance to ever lose the weight and keep it off.  

So, during the past few months, I have met with the surgeon, had numerous doctor's appointments and tests and all the doctors have cleared me for surgery.  Now, I am just waiting for the insurance to approve the surgery and I will get my surgery date.  The doctor thinks it will be in December, most likely. 

I can't wait, and I'm nervous all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment